The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho: - Book Review

This is the book many told me to read once and I read this taking my time, slowly as this is the way I love reading these kind of inspirational novels.
First of all the first line on the cover attracted me, I guess anyone would love to read this on their book too. 65 million copies sold, this is a fantastic number. This made me more eager to read this as I wanted to know what’s there in this book that people have read it this much. I asked for review in one word but people, as they usually do, confused me. So I decided no more suggestions needed and let’s read this straight.



The story: - Santiago is an Andalusian shepherd who has big dreams of finding treasure and has an appetite for travel. Believing that finding this treasure is his ‘destiny’ he leaves the comfort of home and travels into the desert to find it. In order to realize the best that his destiny has to offer, he travels from his home in Spain, through the markets of Tangiers, and into the great Egyptian desert. He gets duped, experiences love, loses and makes money, learns a different language, meets different people, finds himself in good and bad situations. His journey is full of adventure and lessons, while he also finds the privilege of meeting a king, a desert woman and an alchemist, each adding to his life new turns.


Paulo Coelho: - Coelho grew up in a middle-class family in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. His father wanted him to follow in his footsteps and become an engineer but after stating his wish to be a writer, Coelho was put in and out of mental institutions for three years. He became a hippie traveller, joined a cult in Italy for a while and was held and tortured by the Brazilian police after a stint writing ‘subversive’ lyrics for a rock band. Coelho is one of the world’s best-selling authors. The Alchemist, which was inspired by a tale in The Thousand and One Nights, has sold 20 million copies (his first publisher dropped it after selling fewer than 1,000 copies but Coelho managed to find another one).



My Thoughts: - I am totally in love with this book. No matter what other people are saying or will say, I am definitely going to read this in every 2 months and don’t be so shocked, I will tell you why too. First thing, this book really inspires you to judge your own self, what you are doing and what you should do instead. It helps you to confirm you are on your right path. It makes you keep going for what you really love. It tells you that you need to step out from your comfort zone in order to explore this beautiful world and get these experiences. And I think these reasons are enough to make this book a favourite. My personal reason to read this again would be, it makes me think about myself more precisely. The world really need more positive vibes and this books totally successes in spreading that.
This book will test your patience sometime in the chapters as it seems a bit descriptive about the places but it gives you that factual effect that you too are a part of the shepherd’s journey. It does make me feel to be a new me with full of positivity and happiness. I have no more words to describe what I feel about it but I will share few lines from the book which I really like.

“The soul of the world is nourished by people’s happiness and also by unhappiness, envy, and jealousy.”

“When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”

“Someone in the world awaits you, whether it’s in the middle of the desert or in some great city. And when two such people encounter each other, and their eyes meet , the past and the future become unimportant.”

“Remember that whether your heart is, there you will find your treasure.”

“Life attracts life. “ 

“Love never keeps a man from pursuing his destiny. If he abandons that pursuit, it’s because it want true love.”

“Listen to your heart. It knows all things, because it came from the soul of the world, and it will one day return there.”

“You will never be able to escape from your heart, so it’s better to listen to what it has to say.”

“NO heart has ever suffered when goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second’s encounter with GOD and eternity. “

“All people who are happy have GOD within them.”

“Everyone on earth has a treasure that awaits him. “

“We simply let life proceed, in its own direction, toward its own fate. But unfortunately very few follow the path laid out for them-the path of their destinies, and to happiness. “

“Your eyes show the strength of your soul.”

“Anyone who interferes with the destiny of another thing never will discover his own. “
“Don’t give in to your fears.”

"Usually the threat of death makes people a lot more aware of their lives. “

“Love is the force that transforms and improves the soul of the world. “

These are few lines I really loved reading in this book. I think everyone should have this book on their book shelves and in their lives too. Check out the link for the purchase of this book and do let me know what you like about this book after reading this. I would love to hear that. I will appreciate your different views too. 

Take Care
Love Yourself!  





Comments

  1. heard so much about the book but never really paid it much mind,maybe i will check it out soon,your review of it is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is actually on my reading list this year. I didn't read through everything because I don't want any spoilers but it's good to hear that you loved it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had always been meaning to read this book and after reading your review, I am definitely picking it up when I visit the library next. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is very famous but sadly I have not read. But after reading your reviews about this book I am going to purchase right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book looks interesting, Paulo Coelho books are always great, recently i completed his Half Girlfriend, it was really amazing, ill surely read this book when i get some free time :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Alchemist is a favorite of mine. There's so many good quotes that resonated with me and touched my soul. I read the book in a matter of 2 weeks. You just don't want to put it down because you want to find out if Santiago ever finds his treasure. Such a great book. I'm probably going to reread it on my solo trip to Vienna, Prague, and Budapest this September.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great when you find. Book you can truly resonate with you. Must check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, has me interested in reading the book now. It really sound like something I'd enjoy. I love the way you also use quotes in your review, really nice idea. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having two little ones reading is a thing of the past 😂😂😂 however I'd be interested in giving this a read. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. This has got to be MY MOST FAVOURITE BOOK IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE! It resonates with me on 100 levels and I will recommend it to anyone who asks for a recommendation from me! The book made a connection with my spirit and there are very few books that do that for me.

    www.nmdiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this book! My fav is "When you want something the whole world conspires together to help you achieve it."

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an interesting book. I read it a while ago. I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's always great to immerse yourself in another world and reading definitely gives you that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i actually read a lot of good reviews about this book compared to Adultery.
    “Love is the force that transforms and improves the soul of the world. “ - agreed!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never heard of this book but this sounds like a really intriguing read x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read this book several years ago and have heard about other people reading it a lot over the years. That means it really is a good one. You have inspired me to pick it up again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seems like a great book with lots of good quotes and a deeper meaning. I like how you segment your review to make it clear what you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have read this book, it's a great read! I think it's necessary for a person to have such experiences in life as they help us to grow as a whole and learn from them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have read this book back in high school and I was impressed with it and with the author too. But now I have to say that I am not so much. He kind of repeats himself in his books.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Paulo Cohelo is one of my favorite writers. I haven't read this one although its hugely popular, I have read couple of other books. I like his style which is different from others.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never heard of Paulo Cohelo and will have to look into this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have read the book about 12 years back. I dont remember much of it, but maybe its time to read it again. Loved the second and third quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Alchemist is one of my all time favorites! It is very intriguing and I have read it many times!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Paulo's books, he is such an amazing writer. The Alchemist is one of my faves for sure, you make me want to read it again.

    xx, Kusum | www.sveeteskapes.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I remember reading this books years ago. Absolutely loved it then. Paulo Coelho is one my favourite authors of all time, he has a way of saying things that touches your soul.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for the review, I just bought the book and I am looking forward to read it :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment